Re: [whatwg] Script preloading: Browser Pre-compiled Scripts Cache?

On 7/15/13 7:28 PM, Bruno Racineux wrote:
> The outline there suggest: "- When compiling a lazy script with no inner
> functions, do a table lookup for a script with the same source location
> (filename, lineno, column, source begin/end"

So just to be clear: that bug is talking about "script" in the sense
that SpiderMonkey thinks of it, which again is either a toplevel script
or a function body.

The above lookup is basically an optimization: once the lookup is done
the result of the lookup is a pair: script chars and compiled code.  The
script chars are then compared to the chars of the script that needs to
be compiled, and if those match the compiled code is used.  The reason
for factoring in lineno and column is to minimize the number of chars
compares that need to be done (recall that "script" here is a function
body in many cases, and there are lots of those on a single line of a
single file in a typical minified script).

> I am no going that far with the overhead. My suggestion is to be only
> interested in the unique URL hash (not line no, column, or source
> begin/end). Just how many times that script has been accessed in the last
> day, week or month.

Sure, but then what gets done with that information?

Current UAs for the most part do the following, for a whole script:

1)  Do a fast tokenization pass to catch syntax errors and determine
function boundaries.

2)  Compile and run the toplevel parts of the script.

Functions are then compiled the first time they're actually called.
Turns out your typical web page includes lots of functions (mostly in
libraries) that it never calls.

I assume the proposal is to cache, for a given URL, not just the string
for the script but also the results of the initial syntax-check pass and
whatever things we compiled, right?   That might be worth it, as I said,
but needs careful measurement: to the extent that the storage is slow
and the CPU is fast and the compiler is fast and simple (which the
first-pass compiler typically tries to be) recompiling may be faster
than deserializing a compiled representation.

> Or the "fundamental unit of compilation" for JS

It's only the fundamental unit because of the above observation that
many functions never get called.

-Boris