Re: [whatwg] Script preloading: Browser Pre-compiled Scripts Cache?

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net> wrote:

> Taking about "executing script as quickly as possible" (threads from 1012
> which I missed and tried to glanced through just get better educated about
> previous conversations).
>
> Wouldn't browsers be able to store "pre-parsed/compiled' scripts in a
> separate "byte code" cache,
> with scripts promoted to the sticky cache based on their access frequency
> (up to cache expiration)?
> Say similarly to the way Fusion Drives or Seagate Adaptive Memory SSHDs
> work.
>
> i.e. Why do we have to keep re-parsing and re-evaluating the very same
> scripts, especially CDN libraries and social apis largely shared among
> websites, over and over?

I've raised some similar concerns and made a possibly unrealistic proposal
to resolve them at the Extensible Web mailing list[1]
I believe some form of JS code "installation" so that it can be used across
sites would provide a major performance boost, if it can be done in a
secure way, without throwing URLs under the bus. It will enable users to
avoid re-downloading frameworks and polyfills again and again for each site
they visit, and will also enable browsers to optimize these frameworks'
generated machine code.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-nextweb/2013Jun/0050.html