Re: [whatwg] Proposal:Improve internationalization in the autocomplete attribute

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 6:04 AM, Lara Rennie <lararennie@google.com> wrote:

> Sorry about the slow response, I was out on holiday.
>
> Re the CEDEX: it is a postal-code like thing, but it can't go in the
> postal-code field, or formatting would be bizarre; as pointed out, it
> should go after the locality field. However, if it was entered in the
> locality field, certain systems may complain about validation, anyone
> interested in aggregating data will start to get a lot of duplicate
> localities etc.
>
> It's also not just France - many ex-French colonies use this too.
>
> The Google Address Widget does actually accept CEDEX as a separate field;
> but you won't see this in most use-cases, because often the widget is used
> to collect a physical address (and then they disallow it), or it's used to
> give an address to a credit-card company (who are US based, and don't
> understand it or want things they don't understand...)

Thanks Lara.  So if browsers ask for CEDEX as a separate optional field and
then append it to "locality" when filling would that be acceptable?  I
think that's where the spec is right now.

> Re the physical vs. mailing: This is not for postal addresses, but more in
> the case of "I want to go somewhere in real life" -> in this case, we don't
> want the military "states" to be allowed, or PO Box 123 addresses. I would
> assume that the user, when setting up their addresses, would indicate
> whether they do or do not represent a physical location (assuming that a
> user can set up multiple addresses - it sounds like they can, based on the
> shipping vs. billing things)

This sounds like something a browser could do if they wanted, but that
doesn't need to be part of the spec.