Re: [whatwg] [Notifications] Constructor should not have side effects

On 01/29/2013 12:15 AM, Elliott Sprehn wrote:
> The Notification constructor should not have side effects. This is
> generally considered bad design, and the rest of the platform doesn't have
> this either.
>
> Specifically new Notification() should not show the notification since it
> prevents reuse of the notification after calling close(), and is surprising
> behavior.
>
> (ex. new XMLHttpRequest doesn't fire the request, new HTMLDivElement()
> shouldn't append it to the document, ...)

WebSocket, EventSource etc ctors do have "side effects".

It feels natural to me that Notification is one time object.
Once you've used it, you just create a new one if needed.

Also, it is probably too late to change Notification API.

-Olli