Re: [whatwg] use of article to markup comments

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 13:30:18 -0000
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:56:10 -0000, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lists are appropriate for indicating nested tree structures. The use
> of lists to markup comments is a common mark up pattern used in
> blogging software such as wordpress. The code verbosity is not
> dissimilar to  the use of article, less so even option end </li> tags
> are omitted. Besides comments are generated code not hand authored so
> I don't see a problem with code verbosity

>> (It makes some sense, I suppose, to think of comments as a "list", but
>> *unordered*? If you're going to group them at all, wouldn't the order
>> be important? Bruce Lawson (
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2013Jan/0111.html)'s
>> observation that comments are "heavily dependent on context" would seem
>> to support the idea that it *is* important, especially since some
>> comments are responses to others.)
> agreed it would be better to use order lists.

  Wordpress blogs, for example, have comments like

"Bob Smith said at <a href="#permalink">9.55 on 31 Febtember</a>: LOL"

Thus, every comment has a link that a UA can use to jump from comment to
comment. The order is implied via the timestamp. So what's wrong with

<h1>Witty blogpost</h1>

<h2>35 erudite and well-reasoned comments</h2>
I use DRM in Polyglot documents?</div>
use case?</div>

In short, why should the spec suggest any specific method of marking up

Bruce Lawson
Open standards evangelist
Developer Relations Team