Re: [whatwg] Styling <details>

From: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 11:45:09 -0800
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:25 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org> wrote:
>> So I wouldn't call this exactly vaporware :)
>
> I cannot get it to work for <select>.

Right. Here is WebKit's burn down list for all remaining elements to
convert to be shadow tree-aware:

https://bugs.webkit.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=82313&hide_resolved=1

> But this is certainly interesting. It would require <details> to be defined in terms of
> shadow trees, or not? As otherwise the triangle in Chrome's
> implementation would not disappear so easily...

While <details> is indeed implemented as a shadow tree in WebKit, it
does not have to be. It does, however, need to be know how to interact
with shadow trees. Specifically, the element has to pretend that its
composition is defined in terms of insertion points:
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcomponents/raw-file/tip/spec/shadow/index.html#html-elements-and-their-shadow-trees

:DG<