Re: [whatwg] metadata attribute for media

Ralph Giles <giles@mozilla.com> schrieb am Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:23:38
-0800:

> On 12-12-11 4:58 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>
> […]
>
> > I don't think we should have an open-ended API without fixed names,
> > because that is a recipe for an interoperability disaster.
>
> I agree it would have interoperability issues. My own implementation
> experience is that the easy thing to do is to mirror whatever
> representation your playback framework offers, which can result in
> per-platform differences as well as per-media-format (and per tagging
> application, etc.).

Just doing “the easiest thing” when you are a content-emitter (e.g. a
software developer just mirroring what the platform provides)
does make it easier for the sender while making it harder for the
receiver – it creates “computational dark energy” that has to be
consumed somehow at the receiving side, as someone has to map all of
these platform-specific conventions onto common semantics.

I rather not have a world in which one needs even more JavaScript blobs
just to provide basic functionality cross-browser.

> That said, I'm not convinced this is an issue given the primary
> use-case, which is pretty much that web content wants to do more
> sophisticated things with the metadata than the user-agent's
> standardized parsing allows. If one cares to that extent, and is
> already handling format differences, dealing with vendor variation on
> top isn't that much more effort.

I disagree, strongly.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann