Re: [whatwg] IRC and WWW integration proposal

Gryllida <gryllida@gmail.com> schrieb am Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:01:26 +1030:

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 05:24:58 +0100
> Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
>
> > Gryllida <gryllida@gmail.com> schrieb am Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:26:00
> > +1030:
> >
> > > == Summary ==
> > >   To have some universal, standard protocol to indicate that a
> > > webpage or website has an IRC channel or network associated with
> > > it.
> >
> > Associated in what form? Which verb describles the relationship
> > between the web page and the IRC channel? Also, I would call the
> > link relation „chat“ or something, there are other protocols than
> > IRC, e.g. XMPP. --
> > Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
> > <http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
>
> Probably associated as in 'have', that a page/site 'has' its channel
> somewhere. Acknowledge XMPP support in that, might need a 'protocol'
> attribute or just an xmpp:// URL?

“to have” as you use it .ust denotes a relationship exists (as in “I
have a sister.”), but not which one. My fault, the question should have
been “What noun describes the IRC channel in relation to the web
page?”. For a feed, for example, this can be answered with „this is an
alternate representation of the content“.

A protocol attribute for <link> elements would be totally hilarious.