Re: [whatwg] Zip archives as first-class citizens

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:58:39 +0200
To: "Jake Archibald" <jaffathecake@gmail.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:02:48 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Causing a network error in existing browsers is a shame.

It seems to fail to resolve in IE10. It works in
Gecko/WebKit/Blink/Presto: the %! is requested literally. However, both
Apache and IIS seems to return 400 Bad Request.

>> It'd be great if
>> older browsers requested a url which included the zip location & the
>> file
>> within, so the server could unpack the zip and deliver the right file.
>> Whereas modern browsers would request the zip & handle the unpacking
>> clientside. Although I guess that would break a load of stuff.
>
> Picking something that could occur in paths seems problematic.

I'm not sure why it's more problematic than something than could occur in
the fragment.

For instance, the string "$zip=" is not present at all in
http://webdevdata.org/ data set 18/06/2013. So maybe we could use a string
like that in the path and have a graceful fallback path in legacy browsers
that work in existing servers.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software