Re: [whatwg] Zip archives as first-class citizens

On 8/29/13 8:19 AM, Jake Archibald wrote:
> Is this syntax compatible with datauris?

"data:text/html,%!foo" is handled identically in Presto, Blink, WebKit,
and Gecko (no Trident to test in right this second, sorry), and shows
the text.  So if the proposed syntax were applied here it would change
behavior...

Which comes back to my concern with the zip-path approach.  Is it
supposed to work for all schemes?  Some schemes?  All-but-data:?  Only
data: that has application/zip type?  Something else?

> If I navigate to something within a zip file, how is it rendered? I'm
> assuming content-type isn't stored within a zip file (am I wrong?)

You're not.

> so how can the browser differentiate a text file from an html file from a pdf etc
> etc.

The same way they do for file://: by looking at the file extension.
This is a pretty serious issue, by the way, because file extensions
differ by OS configuration, so we get interop issues.  Good catch.  :(

> Also, if I change any file within my zip, the whole zip gets a cache-miss
> next time the user visits, rather than just the files that changed.

Yep.

-Boris