Re: [whatwg] Zip archives as first-class citizens

From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:10:45 -0700
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
(resending)

On Aug 28, 2013, at 6:32 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> A couple of us have been toying around with the idea of making zip
> archives first-class citizens on the web.

This sounds like a great opening for a discussion about the pros and cons of doing such a thing. But until such a discussion has happened, isn't it a little premature to worry about the URL details?

I'd start with things like "what is the fallback when using a browser behind an enterprise firewall that blocks all zip files?" and "what potential security vulnerabilities do we create by having the browser download a zip file and parse the contents?" and maybe "how does this influence the design of memory-constrained browsers?"

Matthew Kaufman

Sent from my iPad