Re: [whatwg] Zip archives as first-class citizens

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Eric U <ericu@google.com> wrote:
> Without commenting on the other parts of the proposal, let me just
> mention that every time .zip support comes up, we notice that it's not
> a great web archive format because it's not streamable.  That is, you
> can't actually use any of the contents until you've downloaded the
> whole file.
>
> Perhaps some other archive format would be a better fit for the web?

My take on this is that zip archives are ubiquitous. That makes this
feature easy to deploy from the start. If zip archives turn out to be
a successful feature we can add support for an alternative format down
the line that handles that better. Adding zip archive support will
also make it easier to work with OOXML, EPUB, etc.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/