Re: [whatwg] Elements should be removed from the past names map once it's no longer associated with the form element

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:53:14 -0400
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On 8/26/13 5:45 PM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> I propose to change the specification to remove any elements that are no longer associated with the form from the past names map:
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/forms.html#past-names-map

Are you sure this doesn't break web pages?  What do UAs do here?  What
did they use to do?

> It's strange for elements to linger around forever in the past names map after the element get associated with a new form element.

I agree, though it's an obvious consequence of certain past
implementation strategies.

>  Since IE didn't support form attribute for a long time (or maybe still hasn't?), I don't think there is any compatibility concern.

I'm not sure what this sentence is saying.

form.foo works in IE last I checked.  So what are you saying IE didn't
or doesn't support?

-Boris