Re: [whatwg] Should <video controls> generate click events?

From: Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 23:13:34 -0400
To: robert@ocallahan.org
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Firefox actually implements click-to-play <video> by default. It's
>> unfortunate and all <video> interaction projects that I've worked on
>> directly or consulted for have been forced to include video surface click
>> -> event.preventDefault() calls to stop the behaviour.
>

> Just to be clear, we only do click-to-play when the "controls" attribute
> is set. So if that's causing problems for you, I guess you want most of our
> built-in controls but not all of them?

Yes, but It hasn't been a problem since the preventDefault() bug was fixed
;)

Also, at the time, the surface click to play was non-standard and
incredibly annoying because it just "showed up" as someone's pet feature in
Firefox. (I'm still not sure if it's a "standard" feature, I can't find
anything in the spec about it, but I could've just missed it)

Rick