Re: [whatwg] Should <video controls> generate click events?

From: Peter Occil <poccil14@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:11:49 -0400
To: "WHATWG" <whatwg@whatwg.org>

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO, the example that Philip provided in http://people.opera.com/~**
> philipj/click.html <http://people.opera.com/~philipj/click.html> is not a
> realistic example of something a JS dev would do.

I'm afraid this example doesn't work well in Firefox and Google Chrome.  It
affects not only the video itself but also the browser-provided controls,
and in Firefox it seems to interfere with those controls.  I think that at
most the click-to-play behavior should only affect the video itself, not the
buttons or other controls (for this to work, this would require hit-testing
to see if the video or a control was clicked, and only override the default
behavior if the video itself was clicked; the hit-testing, though, will be
browser-specific and may require defining a new method in the spec).  In
this way, the video controls would remain unaffected or be specially handled
in a different way.  Another -- less realistic --solution may be to define
new event handlers ("videoclick"? "videopauseclick"?) that only affect parts
of the video element and not the entire video element.

--Peter