Re: [whatwg] Should <video controls> generate click events?

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:36:10 -0500
To: Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>
silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What I'm saying is that the idea that the JS developer controls
> > pause/play
> > > as well as exposes <video controls> is a far-fetched example.

I don't understand what's far-fetched about that.  They seem orthogonal to
me.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>wrote:

> Firefox actually implements click-to-play <video> by default. It's
> unfortunate and all <video> interaction projects that I've worked on
> directly or consulted for have been forced to include video surface click
> -> event.preventDefault() calls to stop the behaviour.

It's the behavior users expect when watching videos, which is the case
<video> should optimize for.  If you're doing something else where the user
interacts with the video in other ways, then it's expected that you need to
prevent this behavior explicitly.

Unlike browser controls, this is visible to scripts and something that
affects authors, so this probably should be in the spec if it isn't.

--
Glenn Maynard