Re: [whatwg] Should <video controls> generate click events?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 16:11:03 -0700
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
>> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > IMHO, the example that Philip provided in http://people.opera.com/~**
>> > philipj/click.html <http://people.opera.com/~philipj/click.html> is not
>> > realistic example of something a JS dev would do.
>>
>> Um, why not?  Clicking on the video to play/pause is a useful
>> behavior, which things like the Youtube player do.  Since <video>
>> elements don't generally do this, it seems reasonable that an author
>> could do pretty much exactly what Philip shows in his demo.
>

> YouTube has their own controls for this, so Philip's example does not apply.
>
> What I'm saying is that the idea that the JS developer controls pause/play
> as well as exposes <video controls> is a far-fetched example.

Yes, Youtube has their own controls.  They have long-standing branding
that makes it worthwhile for them to roll their own.

Why would I want to roll my own, though, when all I want is to add
click-to-play/pause?  That seems like a lot of difficult make-work.

~TJ