Re: [whatwg] Parsing the string <html>

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> No, the spec clearly says "Insert an HTML element..." for those as you
> trace through the parsing.

As Tab says, when the elements are generated they are also immediately
inserted into the document. For example, where it says:

# Insert an HTML element for a "body" start tag token with no attributes.

...in the "after head" mode, "Insert an HTML element" is a hyperlink to
the definition of that algorithm earlier in the spec, which says:

# 1. Let the adjusted insertion location be the appropriate place for
#    inserting a node.

...which itself basically just boils down to "inside current node, after
its last child (if any)", followed by:

# 2. Create an element for the token in the HTML namespace, with the
#    intended parent being the element in which the adjusted insertion
#    location finds itself.

...followed by (skipping bits irrelevant to this case):

# 4. If it is possible to insert an element at the adjusted insertion
#    location, then insert the newly created element at the adjusted
#    insertion location.

...which appends the <body> element to the <html> element (after the
<head> element, which goes through the same process earlier). When you
append a node to another, they end up in the same Document.