Re: [whatwg] Namespaces and tag names in the HTML parser

Sec. 12.2.4 (Tokenization) doesn't contain ambiguous "so-and-so element"
wordings;
it involves not elements but tag tokens, which are not yet assigned to a
namespace.

Secs. 12.2.3 (Parse state) contains definitions used only in the tree
construction stage. And
some of these definitions contain phrases like "If node is a select
element", "If node is a tbody,
thead, or tfoot element," that follow one of the patterns given in the
for checking whether an element has a certain name.  Section 12.3
(Serializing HTML fragments)
contains phrases like that as well (e.g. "If the node is a template
element", "If it is a style, xmp,
iframe, noembed, or noframes element"), and they are also subject to the
same ambiguity
issues.

As for section 12.2.6, step 3 refers to "scripts" (styled orange in the
spec) which can be either
HTML scripts or SVG scripts.  Since apparently SVG scripts are processed
independently from
HTML scripts, it seems that (for clarity) this step ought to use the term
"HTML scripts" accordingly,
rather than just "scripts", since only HTML scripts are added to the "list
of scripts that will execute
when the document has finished parsing".

Section 12.2.8 is not normative, so ambiguity issues there are moot.

The rest of section 12.2 doesn't discuss "so-and-so elements" at all.

Section 12.1 contains requirements on "documents, authoring tools, and
markup generators",
not on parsers or user agents, so while this section contains "so-and-so
element" wordings,
any ambiguity issues they may have are rather benign in my opinion.

--Peter