Re: [whatwg] Forcing orientation in content

Le 18/04/2013 01:03, Charles McCathie Nevile a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 01:52:47 +0300, David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently working on a web project where tablet support (iPad
>> especially) is important, I'm facing a need which apparently the
>> platform doesn't support.
>> I would need to lock the screen in landscape mode.
>
> Not sure if WHATWG is doing anything, but in the W3C there is
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/screen-orientation/raw-file/tip/Overview.html
> in the Web Apps group (by Mounir, who works on Firefox OS as a day job)
Thanks for the pointer! But as said very explicitly in the screen
orientation draft:
" This specification doesn't intend to specify a declarative orientation
locking. However, other specifications specify ways to do that.

The Web Application Manifest Format and Management APIs
[WEBAPPS-MANIFEST-API] specifies a way to declare a default orientation
for a web application inside the manifest file."

And I really wished it was a declarative thing.

I understand the value of locking dynamically in some cases, but both in
my use case and the Romanian guy use case, we want to lock the screen
once and for all at the beginning. The web browser shouldn't have to
wait for JS execution to know how to render things. I'm afraid it will
result in a graphic glitch at application startup if a first frame is
rendered *before* the JS saying "lockOrientation" is executed.
If the locking is expressed declaratively in the <head>, no such glitch
is possible, resulting in a better user experience.

I feel an inline <style> inside <head> with @viewport{orientation: xxx}
[1] could work though. It's declarative and is read before the <body>,
so before any useful frame can be rendered, so no glitch.

Thanks,

David

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-css-device-adapt-20110915/#the-lsquoorientationrsquo-property