Re: [whatwg] <iframe srcdoc> definition not compatible with existing user-agent user interfaces

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 4/7/13 9:52 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>  This is obviously non-trivial
>>

> And hence won't happen for what some will argue is a niche feature in the
> first place.
>
> Your argument seems to come down to "it's already slightly broken in rare
> cases, so it doesn't matter if we break it completely in what we hope will
> become the common case", honestly.  Maybe you even believe that this is a
> reasonable approach...

I don't think we're expecting srcdoc to be the common case for <iframe>,
are we?

FWIW I agree these are niche features and I agree with Ian that adding
another case where the simple implementation is broken is OK.

I suspect the main use-case for "Show only this frame" and "open frame in
new window" are on sites that are wrapping portals around other sites, and
those are rare and won't be using srcdoc. "View frame source" is useful for
Web developers and should probably be updated to show the srcdoc text from
the parent <iframe> if the URL is about:srcdoc.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq