Re: [whatwg] Notifications: in workers

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> My knee-jerk reaction is to tie it to MessagePorts, so that if you make a
> notification on a port, the window that owns the entangled port displays the
> notification. If there isn't an entangled port or if it's not in a window, I
> guess it could silently fail.
>
> The above would enable making notifications from one window on behalf of
> another window, if there's a message channel between the two.

So port becomes part of the constructor dictionary? I guess that works
as long as the port stays alive however, that still leaves the issue
we have with notifications today. User gets notification in
notification center. Ignores it. Closes browser. Opens browser. Opens
two identical tabs that share a worker. Clicks notification. ...

There's a somewhat related problem of where to show network dialogs
with shared workers that the workers specification does not touch
upon. E.g. what if the network requests proxy authentication? That
cannot always be transparently handled. Should the worker just stop
hold that task until that is in some other way resolved or should the
user get a dialog in some way?

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/