Re: [whatwg] Notifications: in workers

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 16:40:16 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

> There is some interest in exposing Notification objects in a worker so
> creating one does not require a postMessage() roundtrip.
>
> This seems problematic for shared workers as it is not clear which
> window the notification would be for. For normal workers this seems
> like less of a concern.
>
> If we go with the idea of exposing a URL on Notification objects and
> allow that to be set we might be able to address the shared worker
> issue, but it is not entirely clear to me which semantics are
> desirable there.

My knee-jerk reaction is to tie it to MessagePorts, so that if you make a
notification on a port, the window that owns the entangled port displays
the notification. If there isn't an entangled port or if it's not in a
window, I guess it could silently fail.

The above would enable making notifications from one window on behalf of
another window, if there's a message channel between the two.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software