Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Alexandre Morgaut <Alexandre.Morgaut@4d.com> wrote:
>> Shouldn't this document have references on some of the URL related RFCs:
>
> The plan is to obsolete the RFCs. But yes, I will add some references
> in the Goals section most likely. Similar to what has been done in the
> DOM Standard.

Is there an issue with defining WHATWG-URL syntax as a grammar
extension to the URI syntax in RFC3986?

How about splitting the definition of the parsing algorithm into a
canonicalization algorithm and a separate parser for the extended
syntax? The type would be string -> string with the codomain as a
valid, unique WHATWG-URL serialization. Implementations/IDL could
provide only the composition of canonicalization and parsing but
humans trying to understand the semantics of the present algorithm
would be aided by having these phases explicitly defined.

Will any means be provided to map WHATWG-URL to Internet Standard
RFC3986-URI? Is interoperability with the deployed base of URL
consumers a goal? How will those URLs in the extended syntax be mapped
into standard URIs? Will they be unrepresentable?

Thanks,

David Sheets