Re: [whatwg] exposing metadata on replaced elements (was: <video> feedback)

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com> wrote:

>> While we have somewhat of a proposal for exposing metadata to media
>> elements through the W3C media annotations WG [1] with the
>> getMediaProperty()
>
> If the function is going to retrieve meta data, why is it named with words
> that don't include "meta" or "data"?
>
> Additionally, is it possible to avoid making the API async? This seems like
> async for the sake of it. If this data is actually the meta data of the
> media resource, then it make sense for this to be readily available after
> any loadedmetadata event and therefore can be accesse via sync API.

I agree - which is why I suggested to just use that work as an
inspiration and not take it at face value. That WG has done extensive
analysis of media metadata that is exposed by different media formats,
which is useful to come up with a solution that works for UAs. Their
solution was not directly meant to be used in UAs, I believe.

Cheers,
Silvia.