Re: [whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Ashley Gullen <ashley@scirra.com> wrote:

> It sounds like the real issue is mobile:
> - it seems pretty difficult to make a desktop lose a context
> - most mobile browsers still use software rendering, or at least haven't
> had GPU acceleration very long, so there are unlikely to be bug reports
> about it
> - it sounds like mobile devices lose contexts much more easily
> Even so, I think an 'onforcerepaint' / 'onneedredraw' / 'onreset' type
> event is the best way to handle this.  If it's really that rare, most devs
> can ignore the event.  If it happens a lot (e.g. on mobile), it will
> gradually become common knowledge, built in to frameworks, etc.

That doesn't sound too evil, but the ideal solution would be one that would
not involve web standards at all. If there was a way of ensuring GPU
resource persistence on mobile platforms (swap-out resources rather than
discard them), then we would not be having this conversation. Making that
happen is a debate for a different audience. Unfortunately OS and graphics
APIs don't evolve at whatwg pace.

IMHO, the convenience of a "living standard" means that amending the
standard will often be an attractive shortcut even when it is not the best
solution.

    -Justin