Re: [whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 00:14:49 +0200, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> [...]

I agree with Benoit, this is already an existing problem, I'm just
pointing the spotlight at it. If we want to take advantage of hardware
acceleration on canvas this is an issue we will have to deal with.

I don't particularly like this idea, but for the sake of having all the
options on the table I'll mention it. We could default to the "old
behaviour" and have an opt in for hardware accelerated canvas in which
case you would have to respond to said context lost event. That would
allow the existing content to keep working as it is without changes. It
would be more work for vendors, but it's up to every vendor to decide how
to best solve it, either by doing it in software or using the expensive
read back alternative in hardware.

Like I said, not my favourite option, but I agree it's bad to break the
web.

--
Erik Möller
Core Gfx Lead