Re: [whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

Why is it prohibitively expensive to handle a lost context automatically in
a canvas 2D?

Having written a 2D engine which supports this (albeit in DirectX), don't
you just need to recreate the surface, set up your render state again,
recreate any textures that were referenced, then continue? (In some
engines, this can amount to simply calling init() again)

WebGL's intent is just to expose OpenGL ES to javascript, and since OpenGL
ES makes you handle lost contexts yourself, so does WebGL.  I think
contrary to that the canvas 2D API should be kept simple and
straightforward to use, and handle lost contexts automatically.

Ashley