Re: [whatwg] Should scrollbars move focus?

From: Peter Kasting <pkasting@google.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 16:17:36 -0700
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org
> >wrote:
> > I think what's happening here in Gecko is that a click on a focusable
> > element moves focus, and a click on an element's scrollbars counts as a
> > click on the element. So clicking on the scrollbar of a <textarea> or
> > contenteditable <div> (or even a <button> containing content with a
> > scrollbar, if you're mad) moves focus to that element. I think this is
> > quite reasonable actually.
> >
> > Example: http://people.mozilla.org/~roc/scrollbar-focus.html
>
> I see. Thanks for the clarification. I don't feel strongly about this.
> Either direction seems fine. Although, it doesn't violate every native
> platform's scrollbar convention.

The behavior Robert describes seems theoretically reasonable to me as well.

Ojan, can you say how you tested the platform conventions?  On Windows I'm
having a hard time finding an app with multiple scrollable elements that
uses native scrollbars.  (For example, Visual Studio doesn't use native
scrollbars.)

PK