Re: [whatwg] URL: file: URLs

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:20:14 +0100
To: Benjamin Smedberg <benjamin@smedbergs.us>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, João Eiras <joaoe@opera.com>
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Benjamin Smedberg
<benjamin@smedbergs.us> wrote:
>> I currently do not have Windows to test but I think I recall IE (or
>> Opera?) opening file://server/share if there was a network share at
>> \\server\share
>
> Firefox has considered and rejected that kind of proposal for security
> reasons. I can't find the bug right now, but I suspect that we would not
> implement that feature even if it were specced.

Just to be clear, the proposal does not require you to implement that
feature (that would be processing of a parsed file: URL, which is
undefined), but it does require you to preserve the host name (which
you are free to ignore or treat as a network error).

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/