Re: [whatwg] [canvas] Proposal for supportsContext

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:31:38 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "whatwg@lists.whatwg.org" <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> > If you really want to protect users from the behavior of pages, you'd
> > really need to make creating the context cheap.  For example, don't
> > switch to a high-power GPU until the page actually draws something,
> > and--since many pages use both Canvas and WebGL for one-shot
> > rendering--be sure to switch back to the low-power GPU after some idle
> > time.
>
> That does seem like a somewhat better implementation strategy, if viable,
> but doesn't preclude the supportsContext() feature.

It doesn't preclude it, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem, either:

> Yes, it could. But we don't control Modernizr or any other scripts people
might use. I'd rather provide something at the browser-level to protect
from bad practice than expect every page to behave nicely.

This (from Dean, the OP) seems to be an argument *against* supportsContext,
since supportsContext is precisely "expecting every page to behave
nicely".  Something-at-the-browser-level is what I described above (in
reply).

And if the nicer above fix is implementable, supportsContext seems
unnecessary.

--
Glenn Maynard