Re: [whatwg] Character-encoding-related threads

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> > Are there any situations that this doesn't handle where it would be
> > legitimate to omit a <title> element?
>
> Perhaps the simplest case is an HTML document that is only meant to be
> displayed inside an inline frame and containing, say, just a numeric
> table. It is not meant to be found and indexed by search engines, it is
> not supposed to be rendered as a standalone document with a browser top
> bar (or equivalent) showing its title, etc.

The initial intent of such a document may be to only display it in a
frame, but since it's independently addressable, nothing stops a search
engine from referencing it, a user from bookmarking it, etc. So I don't
think that's an example of where omitting <title> is a good idea.

> The current wording looks OK to me, and it to me, it says that a title
> is not needed when the document is not to be used out of context:
>
> "The title element represents the document's title or name. Authors
> should use titles that identify their documents even when they are used
> out of context, for example in a user's history or bookmarks, or in
> search results."
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-title-element

That isn't what that says. Please make sure never to read between the
lines when reading a specification.