[whatwg] Tracks and cues

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 19:59:04 +0000 (UTC)
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But you can use cue.text and parse it as a SVG fragment.
>
> That would be RSS all over again. :-(

The difference is that here the parsing at each layer is fully defined.

It's more like JSON, where a key's value can be HTML or XML or SVG or
whatever.

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> If we are very clear about what will be in the cues and that it will
> always be just SVG, we could just create a @kind="svg".

IMHO the idea of putting SVG in cues seems to somewhat miss the point. SVG
already has a timeline, it already supports synchronisation with videos,
it should just be used that way.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, Cyril Concolato wrote:

> Has it been considered adding another method to add cues to a track?
> Something like addCues(DOMString text) where the text is not only one
> cue (like in the TextTrackCue ctor) but where the text would be multiple
> cues as written in a WebVTT file?

Just use a <track> element to point to the file.