Re: [whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

From: Tim Kadlec <tim@timkadlec.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:20:33 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Mathew Marquis <mat@matmarquis.com>, "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
> That's actually exactly why it's better _not_ to plan for it. We can't
> design features for problems we don't understand. It's better to wait
> until we have real problems before fixing them.

You may not be able to predict every future problem, but surely you need to
keep it in mind as you create solutions for today, right? For example, if
all it takes is one higher resolution or one more feature to come along
before a solution becomes unwieldy doesn't that imply the solution isn't a
particularly strong one and is instead merely a stopgap?

We can't be too bold with our predictions, but we do have to build with the
future in mind or else condemn ourselves to a perpetual game of catch-up.

Take care,
Tim

http://twitter.com/tkadlec
http://timkadlec.com