[whatwg] Encoding: API

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:42:59 +0200
To: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>
Cc: Joshua Bell <jsbell@chromium.org>
Hey, I was wondering whether it would make sense to define
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/StringEncoding as part of
http://encoding.spec.whatwg.org/ Tying them together makes sense to me
anyway and is similar to what we do with URL, HTML, etc.

As for the open issue, I think it would make sense if the encoding's
name was returned. Label is just some case-insensitive keyword to get
there.

I also still think it's kinda yucky that this API has this gigantic
hack around what the rest of the platform does with respect to the
byte order mark. It seems really weird to not expose the same
encode/decode that HTML/XML/CSS/etc. use.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/