Re: [whatwg] [canvas] Path object

From: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 18:05:45 -0700
To: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > What of the fact that this breaks existing pages with <input
>> > id="Path"> that access it as just Path? Historically this has been a
>> > non-starter for new APIs.
>

> Surely it's not a non-starter in general, or else no new APIs could ever be
> added to the platform--at worst it just means picking a less generic name.
> I assume that's not strictly needed; "URL" must be a more common ID than
> "Path".  ("Path" makes me think of URL paths, though.  Something like
> "DrawPath" would be a little clearer.)

What about unifying all of these as:

new GraphicsPath()
new GraphicsLinearGradient()
new GraphicsRadialGradient()
new GraphicsPattern()

and fixing HTML5 canvas to support these new constructors instead?

I'm a little surprised about the window.URL change that went through
recently. There must be tons of <input id="URL">'s around, and lots of
old form generating code accessed them through window.id.

@hixie: How was it decided that this wasn't going to break the web?

- E