Re: [whatwg] Default scope for table headers

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 18:21:43 +0900
To: Nicholas Shanks <contact@nickshanks.com>
Cc: WHATWG List <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
Nicholas Shanks <contact@nickshanks.com>, 2012-10-01 09:53 +0100:

> http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/th.html#th.attrs.scope Says nothing
> about what a UA should do by default, nor when scope can be omitted
> due to such defaults.

Don't look to that document for any information about default UA behavior,
or anything at all about UA processing behavior. I tried to make that very
clear in the abstract and intro for that document. It's a non-normative doc
that's intended simply just as a reference

> I suggest explicitly defining defaults for the benefit of both UAs and
> HTML authors. I would expect the defaults to be defined something like
> this:
> [...]

I think what you want is already define in the actual HTML spec:

  http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/tabular-data.html#attr-th-scope
  http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/tabular-data.html#internal-algorithm-for-scanning-and-assigning-header-cells

But if that's missing something you should file an HTML spec bug.

  --Mike