Re: [whatwg] Make DOMStringMap constructable, and el.dataset writeable?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:31:12 -0500
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On 11/30/12 2:23 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> It would be somewhat cleaner if she could simply construct a
> DOMStringMap and assign it, like so:
>
> for(var i = 0; i < cards.length; i++) {
>    cards[i].dataset = new DOMStringMap(carddata[i]);

So this would copy the DOMStringMap into the dataset, not actually
change the value of cards[i].dataset, right?

Given that, would it make more sense to just have a setFrom method on
dataset that takes a string?  I guess the problem with that is name
collisions with data items...

Really, what we want to be able to do here is assign a string to
.dataset and have it do the right thing...  WebIDL doesn't really
support that very well; perhaps it should.

> Another potentially interesting use-case for this is making it
> possible to "transfer" data-* attributes from one element to another
> with a simple "el1.dataset = el2.dataset;" statement.

Again, this would copy, not share, yes?

-Boris