Re: [whatwg] Use of article to identify the main content of a web page

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Ian Yang wrote:

> > > That's called <article>.
> >
> > Thanks Hickson. Actually I had turned down my own opinion (
> >
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2012Nov/0182.html
> > ).
> >
> > And isn't <article> used to wrap an entire blog post? Like this:
> >
> > <article>
> >     <header />
> >     <footer />
> > </article>
>
> Right. It wraps all the elements of a blog post. All the <p>s, <ul>s,
>
> If you just want to wrap a subpart of that for rendering purposes, <div>
> is the element you want. Basically <div> is always the answer if the
> question is "how do I provide myself a hook for CSS styling".

"A hook for CSS styling" is just a side benefit. That's not the primary
thing I want. Personally I care about the meaningfulness and the semantic
aspect of HTML. Therefore what I want is a meaningful element which is
designed to wrap the content of a blog post.

Regards,
Ian Yang