Re: [whatwg] Canvas in Workers

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:12:58 -0800
To: Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com>
Cc: Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com> wrote:
> postMessage already has an ownership transfer list, we could always extend the set of transferable types to include a canvas like thing (the context or some such).

Transferring contexts is tolerable for 2d, but a non-starter for webgl
- there's too much stuff that can be loaded into a context that would
have to be transferred cross-process.  Hixie's approach uses a
lightweight canvas proxy instead.

> IIRC the last time I suggested having canvas (or at least canvas-like) APIs available in workers it turned into a spec for rotating and scaling images (which i still don't fully understand).

That was an attempt to solve the use-cases without doing the work to
actually port <canvas> to the worker.  Hixie's now done the latter.

~TJ