Re: [whatwg] URL: IPv6 parsing and model/serializing

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 07:02:17 -0800
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
> Well and it is validated. You definitely parse the string

Yes, absolutely.

> but I can
> see how that is cheaper than transforming the string. And that string
> is then passed to the DNS layer?

I don't know offhand.  I'd have to go dig...

> We could define that instead I suppose although it seems kind of weird
> to normalise domain names, but not IP addresses. We could offer an API
> instead I suppose that does implement
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5952#section-4

Just to be clear, I don't necessarily object to normalizing IPv6
addresses.  Especially since I'm no longer actively working on
networking code, so it's not like it would be work for _me_.  I just
mentioned the only concern I had about your proposal, which in general
sounds excellent.

-Boris