Re: [whatwg] URL: IPv6 parsing and model/serializing

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 05:45:36 -0800
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> I believe Gecko simply stores the original string (lowercased), modulo IDN
> stuff.  Since this works for both DNS names and IP addresses, a requirement
> that some other representation be stored is actually a bit of an
> implementation annoyance...

Well and it is validated. You definitely parse the string, but I can
see how that is cheaper than transforming the string. And that string
is then passed to the DNS layer?

We could define that instead I suppose although it seems kind of weird
to normalise domain names, but not IP addresses. We could offer an API
instead I suppose that does implement
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5952#section-4

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/