Re: [whatwg] Proposal for a debugging information API

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:07 AM, David Barrett-Kahn <dbk@google.com> wrote:
> Hi whatwg.  I have a proposal for a new web standard, and would value your
> feedback.  This is based on my experiences working on Google Docs, which
> has a well developed ability to send crash reports back to the server for
> analysis.  We often find these crash reports to be lacking in crucial
> information though, because that information is not available on the JS
> APIs.
>
> My proposal is to have a class of information which can be made available
> to an app only after the display of a generic 'this application has
> crashed' dialog, which could be drilled into to show what is being
> disclosed, and which of course can be denied.
>
> Good examples of the information in question are the system's precise
> hardware and network configuration, what Chrome extensions it has
> installed, and perhaps a screenshot of the failed application.

There is directly related work[1] being included in the WebPerf
WG[2]'s upcoming charter. Given the privacy and fingerprinting
constraints are the same, you should probably bring your suggestions
there.

--tobie
---
[1]: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yw_qNMCnGsWQRsdcrifzh_kzFey-ThQ3yp-DmxuJxvg/edit