Re: [whatwg] A plea to Hixie to adopt <main>

From: Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:26:00 -0800
To: whatwg@whatwg.org
Should <main> be optional or required?

I’d deem an optional <main> to be nonsense because it suggests
documents are inherently without goal, or focus.

I’d deem a required <main> to be nonsense because we already have an
(implied) <body> element, and because element proliferation doesn’t
work in anyone’s favor.

That <body> essentially means <main> always seemed reasonable to me.
There are plenty of options for authors to add styling hooks if they
need any, including <div role=main>.

--
Jens O. Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/