[whatwg] header body footer

From: Roger Hågensen <rescator@emsai.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 21:04:00 +0100
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
Starting a new subject on this to keep the email threads more clear:

Suggestion is that the following should be possible,
this would allow <body> to act as if it was a <main>.

<!doctype html>
<title>header and footer outside body</title>
body {border:1em solid #7f2424;}
header {border:1em solid #247f24;}
footer {border:1em solid #24247f;}
instead. -->
This is the header of the document!
This is the main content of the document!
This is the footer of the document!

As can be seen in most modern browsers. Semantically the content appear
The only issue is the css styling of <body> as <body> is treated as the
parent of <header> and <footer>.
I'm not sure how much work or not it would be to allow 1
have <html> as their parent instead,
but if it's not too much work then this could "fix" the lack of a
<main>, and it would avoid the need of using a extra <div> or similar
inside <body> just for styling.

Any other pros (or cons)?

Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/