[whatwg] A plea to Hixie to adopt <main>

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 15:23:27 +0100
To: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
Hi,

My impression from TPAC is that implementors are on board with the idea of
adding <main> to HTML, and we're left with Hixie objecting to it.

Hixie's argument is, I think, that the use case that <main> is intended to
address is already possible by applying the Scooby-Doo algorithm, as James
put it -- remove all elements that are not main content, <header>,
<aside>, etc., and you're left with the main content.

I think the Scooby-Doo algorithm is a heuristic that is not reliable
enough in practice, since authors are likely to put stuff outside the main
content that do not get filtered out by the algorithm, and vice versa.

Implementations that want to support a "go to main content" or "highlight
the main content", like Safari's Reader Mode, or whatever it's called,
need to have various heuristics for detecting the main content, and is
expected to work even for pages that don't use any of the new elements.
However, I think using <main> as a way to opt out of the heuristic works
better than using <aside> to opt out of the heuristic. For instance, it
seems reasonable to use <aside> for a pull-quote as part of the main
content, and you don't want that to be excluded, but the Scooby-Doo
algorithm does that.

If there is anyone besides from Hixie who objects to adding <main>, it
would be useful to hear it.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software