Re: [whatwg] main element parsing behaviour

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 14:47:53 +0200
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, whatwg <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> I think we shouldn't put the parsing algorithm on a pedestal while not
> giving the same treatment to the default UA style sheet or other
> requirements related to an element that have to be implemented.

The difference between the parsing algorithm on the UA stylesheet is
that authors can put display: block; in the author stylesheet during
the transition.

That said, the example jgraham showed to me on IRC convinced me that
if <main> is introduced to the platform, it makes sense to make it
parse like <article>. :-( (I’m not a fan of the consequences of the
“feature” of making </p> optional. Too bad that feature is ancient and
it’s too late on undo it.)

I guess I’ll focus on objecting to new void elements and especially to
new children of <head>.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi