Re: [whatwg] Meta "bugreport" proposal

On 31/10/2012 20:33, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, Nicolas Froidure wrote:
>
>> I think we need a specification to allow users to report websites bugs
>> from their browser. That's why i think it could be usefull to add a meta
>> markup like this :
>>
>> The uri could be :
>> - mailto: to send a report by mail (ex: mailto:webmaster@example.org)
>> - http: to send the bug report a a simple HTTP POST request (ex:
>> http://example.org/bugreport).
>> - bug: something more customizable to allow webmasters to fit bug reports with
>> their systems (ex: bug:http?uri=/bug.dat&method=POST&captcha=/captcha.jpg )
>> - etc (ws:, irc: ...)
>>
>> In order to test this i just made a Chrome extension illustrating how browsers
>> could handle this meta markup :
>> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bugmeback/hgmagcomobmjhaomdoihiggpdekaehmg
>>
>> The code is there : https://github.com/nfroidure/BugMeBack
>>
>> Are you interested in that kind of approach for bug reporting ?
>>
> This seems interesting. My recommendation would be to continue developing
> the extension, and to try to convince browser vendors and site owners that
> this is a good feature to expose. If there is momentum behind a feature
> such as this, it is much easier to push it into a spec.
>
> See also:
>
>     http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_a_specification.3F

I have made a Opera version of the extension today (it's on the repo for
anyone who want to test). I've got a strong experience on Firefox
add-ons so it wouldn't take a lot of time to do it for me. As some
developper told me, it's on Internet Explorer that there's issues most
of the time but no idea on how to do that for this browser, if anyone
want to help, feel free.

In order to promote this feature, you have to know that the bug reports
can be copy/paste into a mail when the <link> is not present. That's why
i already use the extension to report bugs to webmasters. I suggest
anyone who think the feature should become a spec to report bugs this way.

On my side, i'll get most feedback i can and then write uses cases. Feel
free to give me yours.