Re: [whatwg] Correcting some misconceptions about Responsive Images

From: Mathew Marquis <mat@matmarquis.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 20:38:43 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: WHATWG List <whatwg@whatwg.org>

>> I don’t think this is the case. The public has largely resigned this to “`srcset` is happening because the WHATWG said so,” for certain, and that doesn’t seem entirely false—but I don’t think “hopeless acceptance” is the situation at present. I’ve been off the grid for a few days, but as I catch up on the conversation it seems as though a number of the RICG’s members have been contributing to the incremental improvement of the `srcset` proposal. I’m all for it, of course, as the goal was never _this or that_ solution so much as a solution that covers our use cases in the most developer-friendly way possible—and above all else, a solution with the most benefit to users.
>>
>> The goal now—as ever—is the best possible solution. If we’re limited to `srcset`, then the goal is to make that as useful as possible. However, I’d be lying if I said it isn’t frustrating, feeling as though we’re all working from a forgone conclusion.
>
> It's unfortunate that there was an expectation set early in the RICG
> that their purpose was to produce spec-ready text to be included into
> HTML.  Hopefully we'll do a better job in the future communicating
> that what's necessary is use-cases to design a feature around, so we
> don't run into similar expectation mismatches.
>
> ~TJ

You’re certainly right that it’s not worth bickering about, and I apologize if I came across that way.

I only hope that “we’ll do a better job in the future” has no reflection on the current discussions — mis-matched processes are no reason to throw away useful data, after all, and the Community Group has no shortage of that.