Re: [whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

On 18 May 2012 17:29, Matthew Wilcox <mail@matthewwilcox.com> wrote:
> You have to understand that the <picture> idea was not the result of
> idle thought. We went through a *lot* of thinking to reach that point,
> and so it's not actually an attachement to that idea so much as *we
> know* that idea inside out, what it does, what it doesn't, and why
> it's like that. We had thought about it from a lot of angles, thrown
> everything we could at it, and determined that <picture> was the most
> robust, familiar, and flexible solution out of half a dozen
> possibilities - each of which was under similar scrutiny.
>
> Then along comes srcset - which has not been subject to the same
> scrutiny by that group. So *of course* it's getting questioned hard,
> and *of course* <picture> is being held as answering the needs best.
>
> Until srcset has been properly discussed, inspected, picked apart, and
> subjected to the same level of scrutiny as <picture> was, it's not the
> trusted thing that <picture> is.
>
> Make no mistake; this is not a pride or attachment thing, this is a
> knowing the reasons thing. I personally don't think <picture> answers
> things well enough, nor do I think srcset does. Not for general use
> cases - but for specific one-off use cases, each has benefits.

Absolutely. And from what I read (and I admit not reading the entire
archive of messages, but still, prefer to say my piece anyway) the
main concern about picture was the potencial verbosity. Instead of
trying to solve this issue, it got discarded.

There are proposals to deal with the media-query only once to activate
a specific page-global profile. It could support both ways: via media
attribute in picture or source elements or via a detection made on the
head.

Anyway, I'll have to re-read the archive of past conversations to be
able to formulate a complete proposal. But those efforts anyone of us
might take need to be respectfully considered just as srcset has. And
not discarded straight away.

--
André Luís